Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hot Coco

Sunday, October 18, 2009


Hot Coco
Well, it looks like winter is here to stay in North Georgia. I woke up this morning to a cool 44 degrees. Feet are cold, and the cat seems to be hogging the blankets. I talked myself into getting out of bed to make a warm cup of hot chocolate. When the air turns chilly and the change in weather keeps you inside, there are few things more comforting than a mug of hot chocolate.
I make it into the kitchen, begin heating my water and then realize, there isn't a single canister of hot chocolate in the house. I could have some coffee, but on cold mornings, I really like a cup of hot chocolate. I begin rummaging through my baking supplies, coco powder (check), sugar (check), powdered milk, (check). OK..plan b.
While the hot water is boiling, I pull out a pint size jar, and begin adding my ingredients:
  • 4 ounces dry milk powder
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons non dairy creamer (vanilla flavored)
  • handful of small marshmallows
Place lid on jar, shake, Viola, instant hot coco mix. The water is now boiling, I stirred in approximately 2 heaping teaspoons of mix into 1 cup of hot water. Then I added 2 tablespoons of 1/2 and 1/2 - just for extra richness.
You may also add flavoring like mint extra, orange extra, or even Bailey's.
Now, I should have enough hot chocolate for the week.

Hot chocolate gifts can make a lovely holiday gift, hostess gift or just something to brighten someone's day. They are also affordable to make and can be presented quite prettily, depending on your budget and the recipient.
If you would like a more elegant presentation, put your cocoa mix into a pretty and decorative wide mouth glass jar. Dip the bowls of plastic spoons into melted dark, milk or white chocolate and allow to cool; give the chocolate spoons alongside the prettily packaged cocoa mix. You could even package several small jars of cocoa toppings, such as crushed candies and homemade marshmallows.
OK, now off to work! Stay warm. Awafee.

No comments:

Post a Comment