Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Savory Zucchini and Onion Bread

Monday, March 1, 2010

Last week, I was cooking for a family with dietary food restrictions. They asked for a black bean soup and I was in need of a side item to go along with the soup. I thought a cheddar corn bread would be good, but decided something with more nutrients was in order. Since they have children, I like to sneak in veggies wherever I can. I searched around for zucchini bread recipes, but all of them seemed to be on the sweet side.

I'm not much of a baker. I'm not a patient cook and really don't enjoy measuring out ingredients. Feeling adventerous, I decided to play around with some recipes and see what I could come up with. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this recipe turned out.

Recipe By : Chef Somer
Serving Size : 6
Categories : Bread

Ingredients
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large zucchini -- grated
1 medium onion -- grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- shredded
3 cups flour
1 stick butter -- room temp
3 large eggs - beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk -- if necessary

Directions

Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a loaf pan or place parchment paper in it.

First start by shredding onions and zucchini. I used my food processor for this step.



Stir together the zucchini, onion, eggs, and butter.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and then add the Parmesan.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.

Depending on the amount of juice from the zucchini and onion, you may need to add some milk to the batter if it is too thick to combine. I ended up adding about 1/3 cup of milk.



Put the batter in the pan and bake for about 30 minutes.

If the top is golden brown then test it with a skewer or knife to see if its done (the skewer or knife will come out clean). If not, bake until it is done.



Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then on a rack for at least an hour. This bread is better if wrapped and refrigerated then served the next day.

Awafee

No comments:

Post a Comment