Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What's for lunch?


This morning was busy from the start. Phone calls to make, invoices to pay, emails, menus, etc. Before I knew it, it was was lunch time. I quickly realized that I didn't have much when it came it fresh produce so I decided to see what I could come up with. I actually enjoy these types of meals because it's like a treasure hunt in your own kitchen.
Earlier today, I made breakfast, I had wheat berries that were cooked in boiling salted water.
I eat wheat berries in place of oatmeal or granola some mornings. I had about 1/4 cup of wheat berries left. So I knew this was going to be my base since the berries were already cooked. After searching around the fridge, this is the salad I came up with:


Easy Wheatberry Salad
1/4 c. wheat berries*
1 Corn Cobb
1/2 c. black beans
1 vine ripened tomato (chopped)
1/4 c. onion
2 Tbsp. Feta Cheese
1/4 c. bell pepper (chopped)
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I combined the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. I then added the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used less salt because the feta is pretty salty).




*Wheat berries are the mother grain from which pasta, bread and flour are derived. Little wheat berries pack a nutlike flavor and are pleasantly chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment