Monday, September 27, 2010

Parmesan Zucchini Sticks


After an entire summer of fresh zucchini; I needed a new recipe that would entice T to have zucchini once more before the end of the season. I thought of making tempura veggies for dinner, but I really didn't want to clean up a huge mess. I looked through my cookbooks, Mastercook, but still no inspiration. Finally, while searching online I came across a recipe from Giada de Laurentiis I liked the idea of a simple coating -- but still I didn't want to fry and I didn't have any Panko.  I looked around my pantry and fridge and came up with the following side dish.


Parmesan Zucchini Sticks

Ingredients

3 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch long by 1/2-inch wide strips
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (you can use seasoned or season your plain bread crumbs with Italian Seasoning or you favorite seasoning combos)
2 egg whites (feel free to use 2 whole eggs - I had egg whites left from another recipe)
2 Tablespoons butter milk (optional)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sheet Pan coated with cooking spray or olive oil

Method

Preheat oven to 350.


In a shallow plate, combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and salt/pepper. In another plate, beat the egg and buttermilk. Then finally combine your bread crumbs and 2 Tablespoons of the Parmesean Cheese.  

I used paper plates because I don't have a dish washer and I can just throw out the mess when I'm done.  Sometimes, you just have to keep things simple and clean.

Dip zucchini sticks into flour mixture, then egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.  Place on your sheet pan.  Continue until all the sticks have been coated.  This is also a great place to get the kids involved.   My greatest memories of my mom was helping her with kitchen projects - like dumpling cutting and fried chicken.  If you are worried that they will make a mess then spread newspaper under the plates and then you can just toss the entire mess in the trash when they are done.  Come on...let them help.


Spray the zucchini sticks with cooking spray or drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (whatever you have on hand).  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden.  Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.  Serve immediately.


Tip: Definitely wash your zucchini but don't peel because most of the nutrients are in the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment