Monday, November 15, 2010

Cup of Soup

For the days leading up to Thanksgiving I begin to cook low fat hight fiber meals to keep my waist line in check.  During the cooler months there is nothing more comforting and nourishing than soups and stews. I incorporate many types of soups as they are filling and inexpensive to make.

I was gently reminded last night that it had been sometime since I made us a yummy dinner.  Given some choices of meals based on ingredients on hand, we had white chili.  After second glance at my pantry, I realized I did not have navy beans.  Thankfully, I'm a proud owner of a pressure cooker.  1 cup of dried beans to 7-12 cups of water, salt and green chilies.  On the stove they go, giving me time to chop, dice and start my blog.  After about 45 minutes the beans were done.  Of course, you can skip this part completely and use canned white beans.

The best part of this meal was how easy it truly was.  Here is all the chopping you will have to do.  Come on, you can buy all these ingredients pre-chopped!  And as Ina says, "how easy is that??"




White Chicken Chili

1 can diced green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 red, green or red pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional- use less if you don't like spicy food)
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 container of organic chicken broth
1 can white beans (navy, cannellini, etc.)
1 to 1 1/2 lb. chicken tenders, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Extras:
Fresh Cilantro
parsley
chives
lime wedges
organic greek yogurt or sour cream

Method

In a large pot, heat oil.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes, saute for one minute. 


Then add peppers, onions and celery - cook until they are soft with golden edges.  Toss in chicken, green chilies, beans, stock, salt and pepper. 



Bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.


Serve with crusty bread, toasted pita bread or corn chips.  Squeez in lime juice, sprinkle with cilantro and chives.  Then top with a dollop of organic Greek yogurt.

I loved this soup!  If you love the flavor combination of chicken nachos, then you will absolutely enjoy this soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment