Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vegetarian Quiche

A few days ago I was invited to accompany my friend H to a women's circle she attends on Thursdays.  I was delighted to go, but wanted to take a "Thank You" gift for the hostess.  Since the gathering was held at early in the morning I knew I would not be able to wake up early enough to bake (you see, I'm not a morning person).  Sounds like a great time to bake a light vegetable quiche.

Despite their reputation as a fancy French entree, quiches are actually very easy to make. Once you've mastered the general technique, you need never serve the same quiche again!   Quiches are made from a combination of eggs, liquid, and cheese baked in a pastry shell. As long as you beat the egg mixture well, cook the fillings before adding them to the pie, and follow the baking times and temperatures carefully, you will have success.

I decide on a simple vegetarian quiche.  Since it's early in the day, I wanted something light that wasn't going to leave the guests ready for a nap.  

I will post my recipe for the pastry dough at a later time as I failed to take photos as I made the crust.  I wanted to make something decorative, but it wasn't a pretty as I envisioned, but it was delicious non the less.

Vegetarian Quiche
served 6-8

1 recipe for single crust pie
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese (use what you have on hand)
1 small carrot, finely diced
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil 
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup milk or half and half
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or less)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of nutmeg (optional)

Method:





Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes or until the pastry is set and dry.  Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F.


In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, spinach, and carrots in olive oil. Add the 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well.  




Remove from heat, stir in cheese and flour.  Sprinkle mixture over the bottom of the pastry shell.



In a bowl, beat eggs and remaining half teaspoon of garlic powder. Add the milk or half and half; mix well. Carefully pour over vegetables. 



Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting or refrigerate over night.  Serve at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment