Thursday, January 12, 2012

Black Bean Brownies?





I heard about these brownies from my sister a few years ago, but I was a little skeptical.  I love beans in my chili, but in my brownies?  
Today I decided to give this recipe a try.  I have all the ingredients in my pantry so I figure why not?  Plus I am looking for flourless desserts for my gluten free and non-starch eating families.


Like most of my fellow Personal Chefs I read cookbooks, cooking magazines, and food blogs  as though they are novels.  I make copies of recipes or cut out recipes from magazines and newspapers and add to my "must test" pile.  I decided on this recipe because it looks too simple to be true.  As you know, I don't enjoy baking, but this recipe is a no brainer.  Gather your ingredients, dump into the blender or food processor and bake...Ta da...you have brownies.
I used canned black bean, but be sure to use the unseasoned ones.  Or if you have dried black beans feel to cook them and use for this recipe.


Black Bean Brownies
serves 12
1 15.5 can black beans
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup coco powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)


Method:
Pre-heat oven to 350.  Lightly spray an 8x8 pan with butter cooking spray or butter.












Combine black beans through salt in a blender; blend until smooth;  pour mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and then bake in the oven until the edges pull away from pan and the center is set (about 25-30 minutes).  Allow to cool for 15 minutes prior to cutting and removing from pan.


Only 5 grams of fat per serving now that's a fantastic low fat dessert, high in protein and fiber - what's not to love?  As for taste?  I'm not sure as I am waiting for the brownies to cool.  Will keep you posted.




The verdict:  They are moist and chocolaty.  Next time I will be sure to puree the mixture until completely smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment