Monday, January 9, 2012

Light Berry Crisp



If you have been following this blog for a while then you know that I don't enjoy baking.  However, my chef friend Julie Dell Townsend has been posting some delicious looking desserts and actually inspiring me to try my hand at a few.  Of course, I stick to simple desserts that aren't overly complex.  It is my policy that desserts shouldn't take longer to prepare than the actual meal.  


I found a great recipe for a berry crisp and made a few modifications to use up some items I already had in my pantry and freezer.  Feel free to use whatever frozen berries your family enjoys.  I had a few bags of frozen blueberries from this summers Farmers Market.


Light and Delicious Berry Crisp
Ingredients
6 cups frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.)
1/2 cup sugar 
1/4 cup flour 
2 cups granola

1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons melted butter 
Vanilla yogurt or ice cream (optional)

Method

Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, gently toss together berries, sugar and flour then transfer to an ungreased (8-inch) baking dish; set aside. 

In a medium bowl, toss together granola, vanilla and butter then scatter over berries in dish. Bake until top is golden brown and berries and their juices are bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool then spoon into dishes and serve with yogurt or ice cream on top. 
I don't think this dessert could be any simpler!!  I like to warm a small serving in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and then top with vanilla yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment