Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Stew


I started out the year with a 14 day detox that eliminates sugar, refined goods, meat, coffee and limited dairy.  Week one was a little difficult because I didn't properly plan out my meals (duh you think I would know better as a chef)!  Over the weekend I made several vegan/vegetarian meals and stored in the freezer.  My favorite and most filling stew was this chickpea stew.

After reading several books and articles about nutrition I learned an interesting fact:  it's recommended that we consume about pound and half of vegetables per day.  I thought that was pretty nuts considering a pound an half of vegetables is 6 side servings.  Boy, do I need to start adding more veggies into my diet.

Spinach and Chickpea Stew
serves 4-6

Ingredients

12-16 oz. frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
1 large can of organic canned tomato sauce
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1 can or 1 1/2 cups of chickpeas
1/2 cups chicken or veggie broth, or water
1 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon madras curry
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.  Add onions and mushroom, cook until its softened.  Add curry and stir to combine flavors.  Add chickpeas, spinach and tomato sauce and broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This dish is better the next day as the stew sits in the refrigerator and allows the flavors to meld.  It may be served as a side or enjoy with rice or toasted pita bread.  DELICIOUS!!



No comments:

Post a Comment